<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Elway II 

Yahoo! News - Manning Tells Chargers Not to Draft Him
Eli Manning is more than happy to have the San Diego Chargers (news) use the No. 1 pick in Saturday's NFL draft on anyone but him. In fact, that would make his whole family happy. And the Chargers know it.

Eli's father, Archie, said the decision to tell the Chargers to pass on Eli was made by the Mississippi quarterback and his agent, Tom Condon, with input from the family and others.

"I plan to be playing football next season," he said. "I've talked to New York. I've talked to Oakland. I've talked to a lot of teams, and I like a lot of teams."
Free agency is earned through years of service. Rookies do not get to choose where they play. I hope the Chargers do pick him. Then we'll see how committed he is to playing in the NFL.

Listen Eli, you play where you're picked. You finish your rookie contract and then you're free to play wherever you wish. That's the system. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure the Arena League or The CFL would be happy to have you.

|