<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 27, 2004

I hope he isn't the last to say this... 

W. Va. Sen. on Iraq: 'My Vote Was Wrong'
U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller regrets his vote to authorize a war against Iraq.

``If I had known then what I know now, I would have voted against it,'' Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said Friday. ``I have admitted that my vote was wrong.''

The Democratic-led Senate approved the war resolution 77-23 on Oct. 11, 2002, one day after the U.S. House approved a similar resolution.

``The decision got made before there was a whole bunch of intelligence,'' said Rockefeller, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee. ``I think the intelligence was shaped. And I think the interpretation of the intelligence was shaped.

``We had this feeling we could be welcomed as liberators. Americans don't know history, geography, ethnicity. The administration had no idea of what they were getting into in Iraq. We are not internationalists. We border on being isolationists. We don't know anything about the Middle East.''
The entire government needs a course in cultural anthropology. I'm glad to see someone admitting that we're in over our heads.

|