<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 03, 2004

Lying Liar... 

Report: Rose admits in book to betting on baseball
Pete Rose admits in his upcoming autobiography that he gambled on baseball, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Saturday.

The newspaper cited an unidentified source who was briefed on the book.

The New York Times, citing a source in major league baseball, reported Wednesday that Rose admitted to betting on baseball at a meeting with commissioner Bud Selig.
Jim Gray was criticized for asking Rose some tough questions at the 1999 World Series. Excerpt:
Gray: Pete, let me ask you now. It seems as though that there is an opening. The American public is very forgiving. Are you willing to show contrition, admit that you bet on baseball and make some sort of apology to that effect?

Rose: No, no, Jim, not at all. I'm not going to admit to something that didn't happen. I know you get tired of hearing me say that, but I appreciate the ovation. I appreciate the American fans voting me on that All-Century team. I'm just a small part of a big deal tonight.
Pete, you said it didn't happen. For over a decade you've denied that you bet on baseball. You knew the rules and you willingly broke them. Feel free to visit the Hall of Fame anytime you want, but don't expect to see a plaque with your face adorning the walls anytime soon.




|